Jennifer A. Birch, RN, MSN, ACNP-BC
Jennifer Birch, R.N., M.S.N., A.C.N.P.-B.C., is our Nurse Practitioner. Jennifer’s core philosophy is to provide individualized care to each patient and his or her family. Doing so frequently requires an understanding of unique family dynamics and the integration of family members and caregivers into each patient’s plan of care. Jennifer collaborates with Dr. Fineman both in the outpatient setting and in the operating room. She diagnoses and treats acute and chronic neurosurgical illnesses, focusing on movement disorders (such as Parkinson’s disease, tremor and dystonia), degenerative conditions of the spine, and benign and malignant tumors of the central nervous system.
Jennifer is involved in every aspect of the care of a movement disorders patient — including the initial evaluation, preoperative education and testing — assisting with placement of deep brain stimulators in the operating room, and post-operative programming of deep brain stimulators. Jennifer also oversees local movement disorder support groups, and is the clinical research coordinator for deep brain stimulation clinical trials.
Jennifer completed her training as a Nurse Practitioner with an emphasis in the neurosciences from University of California at Los Angeles. She obtained greater than ten years of experience as a Registered Nurse at USC University Hospital in the intensive care unit, seizure monitoring unit, and telemetry units prior to completing her advance care nursing training.
- University of California, School of Nursing, Los Angeles, CA
Graduate Studies, Acute Care Nurse Practitioner Program, 9/2005-6/2007
- University of California, School of Nursing, Los Angeles, CA
Graduate Studies, Neuropsychiatric Sub-specialty, 6/2006-6/2007
- Mission Hospital, Mission Viejo, CA
Neuroscience Review Course, 9/2006
- California State University, Los Angeles, CA
Bachelors of Science, Nursing, 5/1995-6/1999
- California Board of Registered Nursing Nurse Practitioner, (7/2007-Present)
- California Board of Registered Nursing Registered Nurse, (12/1999-Present)
- US Department Of Justice Drug Enforcement Administration, (9/2008-Present)
- American Heart Association Healthcare Provider, Basic Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) (7/2005-Present)
- American Heart Association Healthcare Provider, Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) (10/2005-Present)
- American Nurse Credentialing Center Board Certified, Acute Care Nurse Practitioner (2/2008-Present)
- Reynolds Nursing Honors Scholarship Recipient, Spring 2007
- Mosely Nursing Scholarship Recipient, 9/2005 & 3/2006
- University of Southern California University Hospital’s Nurse of the Year, 2005
- University of Southern California University Hospital’s Ms. Congeniality, 2005
- University of Southern California University Hospital’s Rookie of the Year, 2002
- California State University, Los Angeles Summa Cum Laude, 6/1999
- California State University, Los Angeles Dean’s Honor Roll, Spring 1999, Fall 1998, Spring 1998, Fall 1997, Winter 1997, Winter 1996, Spring 1996, Spring 1995
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Nu Mu Chapter, California State University, Los Angeles, CA (5/1999-Present)
- Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing, Gamma Tau Chapter, University of California, Los Angeles, CA (10/2006-Present)
- Society of Critical Care Medicine (9/2006-Present)
Huntington Memorial Hospital, Pasadena, CA
- Movement Disorders Coordinator
- Surgical Coordinator for Deep Brain Stimulator Implantation
- Clinical Coordinator for Advanced Neuromodulation Systems, Essential Tremor Study
Pacific Hills Neurosurgical Medical Group, Inc., Pasadena, CA
- Acute Care Nurse Practitioner
- Deep Brain Stimulator – Programmer
- First Assistant in neurosurgical operating room cases
Surgical Intensive Care, University Hospital, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
- Staff Registered Nurse and Preceptor to new nurses to the Intensive Care Unit
- Provided care of the critically ill patients with neurosurgical, oral pharyngeal, thoracic, and gastrointestinal disorders requiring surgical intervention or medical observation.
- Specialty training: continuous renal replacement therapy, Swan Ganz catheter monitoring and Licox monitoring and ventilator management
Definitive Observation Unit, University Hospital, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA
- Staff Registered Nurse and Preceptor to new nurses
- Provided care of the post operative neurosurgical, oral pharyngeal/laryngeal, thoracic, gastrointestinal surgical and epilepsy patients until discharge or transfer.
- Specialty training: advanced electrocardiogram interpretation, basic electroencephalopathy interpretation and epilepsy identification
Glendale Adventist Medical Center, Glendale, CA
- Student Nurse Pool
- Provided nursing assistant level care for a broad variety of medical, surgical and rehabilitation patients
Neurosciences Services, Glendale Adventist Medical Center, Glendale, CA
- Evaluated and managed patients with acute stroke through the hospital course from admission to discharge under the guidance of a neurologist or nurse practitioner.
- Developed order sets based on clinical guidelines for the management of acute stroke.
- Assisted in staff development and education with regards to management of the acute stroke patient.
Women’s Heart Program, Cedar Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA
- Evaluated women with cardiac disease and cardiac risk factors. Provided primary and secondary cardiac care including, lifestyle modification (e.g. diet, exercise, smoking cessation), management hypertension, dyslipidemia, dysrhythmias, valvular disorders, diastolic dysfunction, microvascular dysfunction and endothelial dysfunction under the guidance of a cardiologist.
Division of Neurosurgery, Los Angeles County/USC, Los Angeles, CA
- Managed the adult neurosurgical patient in the areas of the emergency room, operating room, neurological intensive care, trauma intensive care, step down units and medical units with a broad variety of diagnoses under the guidance of a neurosurgeon. Diagnoses included: subarachnoid hemorrhage, traumatic brain injury, traumatic spine injury, benign and malignant tumors of brain or spine, management of cystercercosis of the brain.
Division of Neurosurgery, University of California, Los Angeles, CA
- Participated in the assessment and management of neurosurgical patients in the clinic setting. Evaluated patients both pre and post procedure, undergoing stereortactic or functional neursosurgical under the guidance of a supervising neurosurgeon.
- Grand Rounds oral presentation on “Management of Vestibular Schwannomas that Enlarge After Stereotactic Radiosurgery, a scholarly article presentation”